Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 6: Florence


In my blog "Day 1: Rome" I mentioned that during the week leading up to my trip to Italy I hadn't slept or eaten well because of a persistent fever. Nor did I sleep on the 9-hour plane ride. Nor has jet-lag been kind. Do you know what that all adds up to? Yes, I am indeed sick.

The fact is I have been from the get-go, but I developed an inner-ear/lower sinus/throat infection that has made life really uncomfortable. I mention all this to excuse myself, dear reader, for the brevity of today's entry.

The train ride from Pisa to Florence was packed and I was forced to occupy one of the areas in between cars where passengers enter and exit. I think that irritated me more because of the shady characters I was sharing space with mixed with a growing headache.

I found my hotel easily enough after asking a local man where I could find Via Scala. I surprised myself by stuttering very little and using correct grammar. Now, if only I could do that in English all the time.

The receptionist at the hotel was very friendly and gave me several great tips on when and how to go about seeing the sights, mainly about the Uffizi Gallery.

I reasoned that I would feel better once I got out in the fresh air, and this was true to some extent. The museums are closed on Mondays as a general rule, so I decided to locate Dante's house, the Uffizi Gallery, and Brunelleschi's dome atop San Lorenzo Cathedral (the likes of which had not been replicated since Roman times).

I found all these things, got a bite to eat, some Listerine in the hopes that would clear up my infection, and came back to my hotel room to sleep in fits and read about the pillage and conquest of the Inca Empire.

Tomorrow, I sincerely hope to be in shape to go enjoy the city. What I've seen has me excited already.

A domani!


Sculpture replica Orsanmichele

Orsanmichele

No comments: