Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 13: First Day of the Berlin Study Abroad

I suppose that before I begin to describe today's adventures I should give an overview of what happened yesterday. It was pretty great after all.

I left my bags at the Ravenna Hotel where I'd be spending the next two weeks a little before 8 o'clock in the morning. Then I enjoyed a leisurely walk to the LDS chapel that was a little over a mile away. It was perhaps one of the more enjoyable walks I have ever had. It was a perfect, cool temperature. Birds were singing, the staße (streets) were lined with trees, and I was, without the slightest hesitation, going into yet another adventure. To my great surprise, when I arrived at the beautiful brick church house I learned that it was the official international ward in the Berlin Stake.

There were at least three brothers there that worked in the U.S. Embassy and a number of others that spoke English. I really lucked-out again! Of course, it only got better. One of the councilors in the ward and a senior official with the Embassy, offered to give me a ride back to my hotel. The offer evolved into an offer for lunch with him and his wife, and then for a walk around Grunewald lake nearby. It was really fantastic. I very much appreciated their hospitality and friendship.

Today's activities were three: 1) a lecture at the Hertie School of Governance int he morning, 2) a visit to the Pergamon Museum in the early aftenoon, and 3) a visit to the Riechstag in the late afternoon/early evening.

I was really impressed with the Pergamon Museum. I had no clue that there would be a museum of classical antiquity and Mideast artifacts in Berlin. I suppose that just shows my ignorance. Named after Pergamon, the city-state in Asia Minor, the museum boast exhibits from Pergamon, Miletus, Ancient Babylon, Assiria, Persia, and the Caliphates.

I was more interested about the Ishtar Gates than anything else. I recalled having heard about them somewhere before, but was unprepared for the vivid display of color and craftsmanship.

Around 600 B.C. these gates were constructed of glazed brick and raised motifs of mythological creatures. Even after 2,600-plus years the blues and golds are striking.

I got a good look at a lot of Cuneiform and early Aramaic writing on clay tablets and the process of stamping used to make copies of important documents.

Today was rainy and cold - a clear contrast to yesterday's pleasant weather. We walked to the Riechstag to tour the dome. I thought it would be a typical dome like the ones I've seen recently, but it was completely different. It was an amazing glass and steel structure. I really can't do it justice. You just have to see it for yourself. (click here)

More to come. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Eli said...

We learned about the Ishtar Gate in our ancient near-Eastern studies class while in Jerusalem, maybe that's where you learned about it too?