Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rome: Day 1

I've decided to keep a daily blog for those of you, family and friends, that want to keep up on where I'm at. If you're going to be a frequent reader, all I ask is that you try not to be too jealous of my adventures and/or genius (yes, I know you just rolled your eyes).

I can't believe I actually made it. This past week has been one of the most challenging I may have ever had. Between final exams, fevers, not sleeping regularly, and spiritual struggles, I didn't have anything left when I finally found my hotel in Rome this morning. After perhaps the world's best power nap, I felt ready to go get lost exploring Rome.

And lost I soon became. The map the hotel provided soon proved to be the most valuable resource I had. I covered about a third of the city in about eight hours and got some great views of the Piazza Venezzia (picture to the left), the Colosseum, and other really old Roman stuff.

I didn't learn anything about the piazza - although I suppose I should have. Its gorgeous and has cool statues. 'Nuf said

I did, however, learn that the "Colosseum" is actually a misnomer. It was given that name for the giant bronze statue that stood nearby in the courtyard of an adjacent temple. It was really called the Flavius Amphitheater, Amphitheatrum Flavium, or, in modern Italian, Anfiteatro Flavio.
It would be an understatement to say that walking around the Colosseum was cool. It was epic. I couldn't help but imagine the most epic moment in known cinematic history: the Bruce Lee versus Chuck Norris battle. Go ahead, watch it.

There were oodles of people all over the place. I was having trouble understanding the fast, mumbling Italian, but the other half-dozen languages I could only guess at overloaded my tired little brain.

I ended up at the Fiume Tevere (river) and got dinner in the Jewish sector (who loves shwarma? I certainly do.)

All in all, it was an amazing day. I can definitely wait for tomorrow though. I'm beyond exhausted. That's not to say that I'm not excited to see what the Eternal City brings for me tomorrow.

3 comments:

Trent Hood said...

So Amazing. Great Pictures.

Chris said...

Keep up the good work, Mr. Hood. I chortled aloud at the Bruce Lee-Chuck Norris reference.

Scholarastastic said...

If I remember correctly, the Piazza Venezzia was in honor of Vittorio Emmanuele and the unification. At least it looks familiar to me...