Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm still here...

I'm glad I can still be of some use. I got just got a call from one of the members of the church from Peru where I served my mission. I occasionally get calls still - even though I've been back for almost 2 1/2 years. I used to get calls all the time. It really helped me get through the initial depression and feelings of uselessness. Now, I'm just grateful that people still remember me.

This particular member was always helping us with our work. She was the cook and laundry lady, as well as a great example to her part-member family. Apparently she was just feeling a little down and needed an ear. I can understand that. Life's no picnic, they say.

I'm not sure that I said anything really profound, but I did what I could. Its amazing what a little humor can do.

I've come to think that discouragement comes usually out of a lack of hope. In Peru, the saying is "la esperanza es la Ășltima cosa que se pierde" - hope is the last thing you can lose. Sometimes we lose hope because we lose sight of our goals - our deepest dreams and wishes. Sometimes its because of uncertainty because we question if we have something worth working for. Its easy to become depressed if you feel like you're working hard but getting nowhere - and getting nowhere because you don't know where you want to go or achieve. I could be wrong, but I think we've all be there.

Prioritizing and reassessing goals usually helps me.
I'm just glad I got to be of some help tonight. It always validates me a little bit.

No comments: