Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fire and Friends

In an uncharacteristic twist I blew off doing a bunch of studying and essay-writing to go to a bonfire tonight. That's become a more frequent thing lately - ignoring studies to go have some fun. I've come to the conclusion that if all I do is study, I'm going to be miserable. I'd rather be up 'till midnight in the library every night than have to study the whole weekend. Thank goodness for that decision.

Talk about a pendulum effect. I recently just organized my schedule and committed myself to getting up early, going to bed early, and basically having no time for any socializing. Good thing I out-smarted myself and realized that wasn't such a good idea.

I'll still get everything done that I need to. I just won't get as much sleep as I'd like. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it means Slurpee runs, bonfires, and whatever other fun times we might come up with. You really can have the best of both worlds - study and get ahead and have some fun while you're at it.

In other news, tomorrow is my last day...of being 23. It really is odd to think that four years ago I celebrated my 20th in a small and unknown villa in Peru or that the following year in one of the most dangerous barrios I've ever heard of. Its shocking to realize that if you don't take charge of your life that opportunities and blessings will just pass you by. As I've thought about that in the weeks (and, yes, even months) leading up to this birthday, I've recommitted myself to being proactive and being happy with my life.

No comments: