Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spirit of the Season

I've done a lot of thinking about what makes Christmas special. This shouldn't surprise you because, if you know anything about me, its that I think, muse, ponder, daydream, [insert additional synonyms here] a lot.

Last Christmas really highlighted this issue for me. It was the worst Christmas since the time that I lost my wind-up helicopter toy. You know, the kind that you pull the zip cord and it goes flying. Well, it ended up in the neighbors pool. I'm sure that there have been worse ones. A few come to mind, but you can ask me about embarrassing childhood memories some other time.

On a serious note, I returned home for the holidays to Gramps' place. We've lived together for seven years now off and on - between summers, mission, internships, etc. Usually its a great time to sit back and reflect on life. However, that year I was stressing out about a relationship, trying to find gifts last minute for my siblings, and frustrated that more of my old friends weren't around to spend time with.

It only got worse once we showed up at my parents' place on Christmas day and realized that they hadn't prepared Christmas dinner and had nothing planned. It was a little too much for me. Gramps was obliviously basking in the presence of grandchildren. I envied his calm attitude.

I ended up staging a coup of the kitchen and making dinner, planning the time of the phone call to my brother who is on his mission (while the folks sabotaged it by insisting that they were right about the time differential), and getting almost nothing in return.

Let's face it - we all want someone else to take care of Christmas. We want to just sit down, relax, and receive awesome presents. Last Christmas finally broke me of that notion.

Christmas, like most or all things in life, is all about taking ownership. I've struggled with sadness during the holidays, but only when I didn't put any effort into making the season merry. It takes effort to get that holiday spirit. I've decided that "'Tis the season to be jolly" is synonymous with "'Tis the season to be cheesy and cliché" and it is a blast!

I got an advent calendar this year and under each window, instead of chocolate, there is an activity to do. I've been doing those every night. I've got Christmas music playing. I'm home alone most of the time, and it has the potential to be another worst Christmas ever, but only if I let it.

Some people have suggested that its what we give that's more important, but even that has become a vice during Christmastime with trendy toys, must-have fashions, and extravagant decorations.

Where is the Spirit of Christmas we have lost in giving thanks to ourselves for being so giving? Where is the Holiday Cheer we have lost in complexity?

There is only one thing that you can truly give to others and to God. Toys will break. Dinners will not always be perfect. Video games will lose their appeal. Fashion will change. In the words of The Preacher: "All is vanity".

Give your heart.

Give of yourself. Simplify the season. Give gifts that help your loved ones do the same.

Unlike Calvin....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your thoughts are thoughtful I think.

Anonymous said...

I had a really long comment here and then it got deleted.

Basically it said I really hate the holidays.

Good post.

Joel Hood said...

@ Dave: Thanks! I thought they were thoughts worth thinking
@ Rayla: :(