Saturday, February 21, 2009

Timeline

Here's the run-down:
  • survive this semester
  • take as many classes Spring term as I can
  • get the AIPAC internship for summer (June-August)
  • work on my honors thesis
  • If I'm really industrious I can still graduate in December
  • If I'm actually smart about things, I'll give myself an extra semester and graduate in April 2010
  • Why do I always rush things?
I've been thinking a lot about grad school. One of my pals recommended that I take a look into getting an MBA. I'm not completely sold on the idea. I had previously thought a lot about law school. The reoccurring question with regards to both of these things is: why? What's my motivation?

I keep on stalling making a definite decision not because I fear the future - I welcome it really. I keep thinking that maybe I'll get my act together and date a little more, not that I haven't, and maybe settle down and get my priorities in order. I feel as if, if I keep rushing all of the time to get done as fast as possible with my undergrad that I'll never make time for things that are potentially more important.

As of right now my only motivation is to make myself as invaluable as possible - that's why I've been seriously considering the JD/MBA program at Northwestern. Its not so much that I have an interest as much that I just want to have an impressive resume. I don't like that motivation.

I'm trying to find something better, a little nobler.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

do whatever you want to do because YOU want to. don't do it because you want an impressive resume, that implies you're doing it to look good to other people. You don't want to become one of those people.

Joel Hood said...

You right of course, Aaron. Figuring out that its okay to be a little self-centered, especially about a career, has been taking me a while. Thanks!

Aaron said...

not self-centered really, more like self-satisfying, or satisfied with yourself and what you do for a living. More often than not that involves doing things that make for an impressive resume, or hopefully doing something that will change the world :-). I struggled with this concept a lot in deciding to be a doctor. I questioned my motives for a while, thinking that if I was doing it to prove that i could, or to be an "impressive" person than in the end I wouldn't be happy. My advice is to do some imaging (like in sports). imagine you are doing the job that youre pursuing, imagine a full days work, the good the bad and everything in-between. How you feel as you do this should indicate whether it's something for you or not. I dunno just an idea.

Joel Hood said...

That's a really good idea. Thanks, Aaron!